Saturday, April 5, 2014

The Odor of Christ?

 
One thing that I look forward to each year at this time is the trees flowering. I love how the buds form, swelling slowly until one or two sunny days makes them burst into bloom and announce that Spring--and its celebration of new life--has arrived! 
A local store has these trees (Bradford Pear) lining the side of the building near where I like to park. They make a lovely row of Spring that brings a smile to my face--until I get up close to them. While the flowers themselves are beautifully delicate, the odor they emit is akin to that of fish that has been sitting out upwards of three days! The first time I encountered these trees, I strolled up to one and boldly reached for a cluster of flowers to enjoy what I assumed--from their lovely appearance--would be a breath of Spring goodness. Boy, did I ever experience the opposite! Yuck!
I got to thinking this week as I saw these trees once again in bloom, that they represent how we can be as Christians. As believers, our lives are to be a representation of new life--a whiff of all that is good. II Corinthians 2:15-16 says, "For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ, among those who are perishing. To the one we are an aroma that brings death; to the other an aroma that brings life..." But, too often, we have the outward appearance of all that is good and lovely, but up close, we emit an odor that is a whiff of poor attitudes, pride, entitlement, unclean speech, and gossip (to name a few).  So while we may initially attract others--we eventually repel them!
I remember from Biology class that the main reason for a flower's scent is to attract pollinators. Most flowers carry a sweet smell that attracts bees, birds and butterflies. There are a few flowers, however, whose scent is designed to attract flies and beetles--insects which are attracted to dead things and waste products. Now bees, birds and butterflies are associated with what is sweet and or beautiful. Flies and beetles are associated with filth, death and disease. Hmmm...that gives me food for thought.
I want to be the kind of Christian who attracts that which brings beauty and sweetness--not death and disease. What good is a show of beauty if what I emit repels others--and attracts that which will bring negative things into my life? 
My prayer is that I will be the "...pleasing aroma of Christ...an aroma that brings life..." I want others to not just see the Beauty of Christ when they see me--but to enjoy the lingering scent I leave behind.
 

No comments: