Monday, May 11, 2015

Like a little child...

Part of the reason I so enjoy working with Preschoolers is they are such raw humans. Very little filter--humanity at its best, and worst! They remind me of my baser self and I can sometimes see my own struggles in their honest expressions.

One little girl in my program recently became frustrated with the actions of another. The other child had been continually irritating this little Miss with unprovoked actions of irritation--snatching things from her, only to drop them instantly...stealing her snack and dumping it on the ground...pulling her hair. Finally, this little girl had had enough! She stamped her foot and, splaying her arms, announced loudly, "SHE'S JUST A MEAN KID!"

Yes. I see it. It is where we live in the adult world as well. The driver who cuts others off in traffic...the fellow customer who displays their unhappiness with the Starbucks workers by dumping their drink on the table...the person at work who withholds permission or needed items, just because they can. I also experience many situations in my day when I can honestly say, "THEY'RE JUST MEAN KIDS!"

The other beautiful thing about Preschoolers is they have short laundry lists. The same children who were injured by another, experienced unprovoked harassment, or were engaged in an epic battle over who gets to wield the pole in the magnetic fishing game--are often to be found minutes later playing peacefully, sharing, forgiving and forgetting.

That's what I want to learn from them. How to keep a short list. Despite the fact that, as an adult, I have more control over myself than a preschooler--I do not have control over others. I cannot even predict much of the time when I will be put into a frustrating situation over the actions of another. I want to be able to carry on, to continue my day, to not spend excessive time stewing over injustices. 

I think that is part of what we really mean when we say we long for childhood again--to not only be free of the heavy responsibilities of the adult world...but also the weight of carrying our heavy grudges. It sure would be nice most days to quickly go back to playing peacefully... sharing... forgiving... and forgetting...

No comments: